Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Regiments of Vulgaria

A long time ago I painted some Brunswickers for the era of Napoleon I and also Napoleon III and the Franco/Austro-Prussian Wars. I was intrigued by the way the blue and black looked together and at that point I decided that if I ever started my fictional country the uniforms would be based upon that of Brunswick. So the Regiments of Vulgaria wear black coats with different facing colors. There will be 1 Grenadier Rgt, 4 Musketeer Rgts, 1 Fusilier Rgt an organization of Jaegers and some irregular formations. The country is somewhat Slavic in nature although it has been organized and trained by a Prussian/German. I suspect you could think in terms of an independent Transylvanian Army being trained by Baron von Steuben.

The Bosklosviakov Musketeers- The senior Musketeer Rgt in the Vulgarian Army.

The Tod und Herrlichkeit Fusiliers- They are also known as the "Death and Glory" boys. Those of you familiar with American rules football will notice that the fusiliers wear the colors of the Pittsburgh Steelers. This is intentional and is a bit of a dig as I am a Baltimore Ravens fans. Yes, that does mean that the Grenadier Rgt will be dressed in purple and black. The Fusilier Rgt is the depot and training regiment for the Vulgarian Army and therefore will be the least motivated and trained troops. Being an old soldier myself the name was specifically chosen as the sort of thing that will draw the uninitiated to the colors, although veteran soldiers typically aren't impressed with such things.

The Bosklosviakov Musketeers.

The Tod und Herrlichkeit Fusiliers.

A patrol of the Bosklosviakov Musketeers and Tod und Herrlichkeit Fusiliers moves into an area of Vulgaria overlooking a border lake. The T und H boys usually accompany Musketeer Rgts on patrol as part of their continued training. After a few years with the fusiliers good well acclimated soldiers can accept positions in the musketeer regiments.

The formation is called to parade by the Bosklosviakov NCO prior to establishing a bivouac by the ruins.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bluebear Jeff said...

Nice! I too like the look of the "Black and Blue". What other infantry facing colors are you planning? Also, what will the cavalry look like?

My own Saxe-Bearstein troops will be loosely based on SYW Hanover. Infantry in red coats; but I'm not really quite sure about the Cavalry and Dragoons yet. Historically both were in white for Hanover . . . but I want something a bit different . . . still thinking.

http://saxe-bearstein.blogspot.com/


-- Jeff

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Poruchik said...

Jeff,

I had thought to create a regiment of Cuirassier and one of Hussars. Given the nature of the hypothetical terrain in Vulgaria I'm thinking Dragoons now and Hussars with a good mx of Irregulars.

Donald~

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:17:00 PM  
Blogger WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Jeff,

Wonderful figures and a great narrative!
Brunswick uniforms are striking, I agree, and your facing colors provide a nice contrast to the stark black coats. Can't wait to see more.

Stokes Schwartz
The Grand Duchy of Stollen 1768

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Donald,

Please forgive me -- I called you Jeff in my previous comment. I'm terribly sorry. The effects of a very long day, too little sleep, and seeing the name "Jeff" in the previous two comments above. No offence intended. I was not paying attention as closely as I should have when I wrote and posted the initial comment.

Best Regards,

Stokes Schwartz

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:50:00 PM  
Blogger Poruchik said...

Stokes,

LOL! No problem at all, I have had many of those types of days and I feel your pain!

Thank you for the compliments! There is much more to come, I promise!

Donald~

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home