Monday, November 27, 2006

Musketeer Miniatures GNW

I recently ordered and received a group of sample Musketeer Miniatures Great Northern War range figures. M-M currently has available four packs; Swedes in Karpus Attacking, Swedes in Tricorne Attacking, Russians in Karpus Standing and Russians in Tricorne Standing.

As a diversion I painted one of the Swedes this weekend. These are very nice castings ranging 25-28mm and very well detailed. The listing promises many more items and I am very tempted by this range of castings. The Great Northern War has been on my list for about 20 years now. I simply haven’t found to date a complete line of castings that I liked. These fellows could be the figures I’m looking for. You can see the listing at the M-M website and few castings:

http://www.musketeer-miniatures.com/index.php



The left side of the casting, one of the features of these figures is that the sword and bayonet sheath are a separate item. This has some painting advantages; however, the little pieces could be lost during mass production. I intend to paint units of 60+ figures and 60+ swords scattered about might become problematic. I suspect the prudent modeler would attach the weapons during the cleaning process.



I really like the animation in these little fellows. The Swedish drill at the time consisted of two half volleys fired during the approach followed by a charge with no reloading permitted. Fully one third of a Swedish battalion would have been pike and I suspect the site of Charles the XII’s grizzled veterans charging was more then many a Saxon, Pole or Russian could stomach.



This miniature is painted in the colors of the Västerbotten Regiment. His shoulder straps should be blue not white, I will rectify that shortly. I have read that the karpus was only issued to rank and file; NCOs’ and Officers would be in Tricorne, can anyone verify this?

Bill Thornhill the “Owner, designer, mould maker, caster and general dogs body of Musketeer Miniatures” to quote him; has promised Command, Pikes and Grenadiers next. I will certainly purchase a few of each upon release. I am eagerly anticipating the marching poses and cavalry. This line has an excellent start and I’ll post the additional figures as I paint them perhaps a Russian of Preobrazhenskii next.

If you're interested in the Great Northern War I highly recommend this line of castings!

1 Comments:

Blogger WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Your swede is full of character -- I like him too.

Best Regards,

Stokes Schwartz

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 3:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home